The Society began life as the Helmsley and Area Group of the Yorkshire Archaeological Society, and the inaugural meeting took place at the Scout Hall, Helmsley on 5th December 1950. The Society is Registered Charity (No. 1089682); it currently has a membership of about one hundred. From September to April there is a programme of illustrated lectures, one a month, held at the North York Moors National Park Authority Committee Room, Helmsley. These are on a wide range of topics, mostly concerning the archaeology and history of the local area. During the summer months, a series of visits is arranged, often to sites which have featured in the previous winter’s programme.